Sunday, October 18, 2009

He Really Will Eat Anything

I often wonder if God had been preparing me just a little when it comes to cooking Gluten-Free/Casein-Free (GFCF) for Justin. Thirteen years ago, when I became a mother, I knew I wanted to feed my children healthy, nutritious meals. It has always been important to me to have my children eat whatever I cook for them, be thankful for their meals, and to eat as a family. This made going GFCF much easier--because I already had the basis down for cooking healthy and cooking often.

Before I even knew Justin had Autism, I remember him having food aversions and major feeding issues. He didn't feel the food in his mouth so he would overstuff, or swallow before his food was chewed (causing choking). I worked very hard with a feeding therapist to help Justin with this when he was very little. He would also gag on certain textures. I would have to do "dinner therapy" just to get that texture back into his diet. I don't know what kept me determined--but I was, and I am so glad now! I have always "experimented" with nutritious foods on my children and they are such good sports about it--but none of them compare to Justin. He is my ROCKSTAR of all eaters. I can put together the craziest combinations and he will always eat them. Thank God I got him used to this when he was younger. It has made my job so much easier and has afforded Justin the best possible nutrition on a GFCF diet--which makes me feel good!

Since we eat a lot of greens, GF grains and veggies that most of our friends haven't heard of--I guess it's reasonable for Justin to mistake what he finds in the outdoors as a food item {hee-hee}. Here's some pictures of what he tried out the other day...

{Hmmm...looks like it could be good} "Mom...is this gluten-free?"

"Doesn't smell bad"

"Let's try it out. Nope--not food. It's just a pine cone."

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this post, Melissa. Ummm would you mind if I was a birdie in the corner while you grocery shopped? I think my eyes glaze over and I start drooling at the farmers market. I have NooOo idea where to start. I'm not kidding. When are you going to offer a class to us "striving to be like Melissa" mamas? SERIOUS!!!

    Justin is a doll and the pictures of him are priceless =)

    ReplyDelete