Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bittersweet Birthdays!

For the last few years, Justin's birthday has been a little hard for me to truly celebrate "Melissa Style". I want to, but then I am secretly saddened about this moment also.

I am excited he's one year older and I want to treat him like a king on his birthday. But as each year passes, that's one year that went by without Justin being fully recovered from Autism.

He's now 8. In lots of ways, he is truly 8, but he has the impulsivity of a toddler...{STILL}, and it's wearing me OUT.

I called a dear friend of mine the morning of Justin's birthday (whose child also has Autism) and she told me it was normal for me to feel happy, yet sad during his birthday and to remember that even though they may be subtle, there are always areas that our children have improved each year.

I know this...but I needed to hear it from someone else.

How can I not celebrate this sweet faced little boy's birthday? He has come such a long way and I am always seeing signs of victory in him. I love you little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment